October 22, 2007

Mario Batali, You’re My Hero: I’m Gonna Eat My Way Through BABBO


Oh Mario, how I love thee. I would proudly rub your rotund belly with sunscreen to protect your fair skin while we lay on a yacht in Portofino feeding each other white truffles. I have loved you since “Ciao America” even though it was a horrible show. I dutifully watched you explain that sauce is a condiment, the pasta is the star, on “Molto Mario.” I am so covetous of Gwenyth Paltrow – why would anyone want to go on a food tour of Spain with her? Isn’t she vegan? That’s no fun. Despite my anger over you picking her instead of me, I still beamed with glee when I watched you shake your booty to U2 with Michael Stipe. My admiration for you grew after reading Bill Buford’s Heat. My darling Mario, clearly you can party, really party, and that makes me love you even more!

Reading the book made me so envious of those diners at Babbo, I simply must go. I tried for two days in a row to get a reservation. The earliest one can make a reservation is a month in advance, so I meticulously called the reservation line a month before I hoped to go. I called for four hours before the busy tone finally stopped. Alas, their reservation book was full already. I tried again the next day; four and a half hours later I got through and secured the last space they had left… dinner for two at 11:15pm. “I’LL TAKE IT!!” Unfortunately, just like me, you will have to wait until November 10th to hear about it.

In the mean time, Halloween is fast approaching and what could be better than being the big orange man himself! You only need a few simple things.

The Do It Yourself Mario Batali Costume:
1. orange crocks
2. a long yet balding red wig
3. khaki shorts (no matter what the weather)
4. a pillow stuffed under your shirt
5. a bottle of wine in your hand
6. an apron with some tomato sauce rubbed on it
TA DA!!!! It’s that simple.

*Photo courtesy of FoodNetwork.com

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excited to hear how Babbo is! Love the costume idea. How could I dress up as Paula Dean?

Anonymous said...

This is such a funny idea. I have a halloween party to go to - do you have any ideas for a couple. All I can think of it that add where a bunch of guys in underwear dressed up like a bunch of grapes. . . don't think I can get my hubbie to do that one. . but do you have any other ideas???

Anonymous said...

That costume post was hilarious. Admittedly, I'm partial to Batali's food, however, his sartorial sense is second to none: orange crocks, stained apron--is there anything more elegant? If only his cuisine was as refined as his threads...or is it more of a uniform than a particular style? He does, nonetheless, seem like a personable charachter; his appearance on Iconoclasts was great, and his West Village haunt, Spotted Pig, is good fun.

Great posts, L.T.; honestly, your blog is wildly entertaining, and simply starting it is a considerable achievement--keep it up, I'm proud for you! Congrats.

Anonymous said...

I cant help but think of Seinfeld everytime I hear Babbo..Ironically Babbo ran a restaurant..Keep it up L.T...Very good stuff!!

Anonymous said...

me and my wife have been researching 2012 for about 2 years now and have allready started planning they say by 2010 you will see it in the sky and i think thats about the time we will have everything ready we are looking to start a survival group or if anyone else has one that we can join let me know ill check back later thanks
[url=http://2012earth.net/global_economic_crisis_2012.html
]Nibiru
[/url] - some truth about 2012

Anonymous said...

Not sure where to post this but I wanted to ask if anyone has heard of National Clicks?

Can someone help me find it?

Overheard some co-workers talking about it all week but didn't have time to ask so I thought I would post it here to see if someone could help me out.

Seems to be getting alot of buzz right now.

Thanks

Anonymous said...

Hi everyone


http://www.BuySellDirect.net 100% free service is your overwhelming choice. It will opened a new world to you to make money at home. It is like having improved ebay FREE.


http://www.BuySellDirect.net is what Ebay users need to save paying charges when they sell or not.