October 22, 2007

And Now It’s Time For Your LAST MEAL!!!!!:


What would your last meal be? Having to pick only one food would be like “Sophie’s Choice” for me, but I ask everyone else this question so it’s only fair that I answer it myself. If I were being put to death tomorrow for torturing my friends and family with endless dull food stories, and had one final night here on God’s green earth, I would ask for a serious carbo-load with a few old favorites thrown in. The following, in no particular order, is the short version of my answer:

1. Spicy jerk chicken burrito from Juan’s Flying Burrito (New Orleans)
2. Pulled pork and coleslaw sandwich from The Shed (Somewhere on the highway between NOLA and Florida)
3. Spicy tuna roll drenched in soy sauce from Nobu (the one in Milan, of course)
4. Cheese burger and fully loaded baked potato from Port of Call (New Orleans)
5. Curly fries (must be from a drive through)
6. Chicken parmesan from my high school cafeteria, ah, memories... (NYC)
7. A big meatball sub from somewhere with construction workers loitering outside
8. A loaded Italian sub from Oasis Grill (LBI, NJ)
9. Philly cheese steak from Johnnies Roast Pork (Philly)
10. Beef stew with egg noodles from Ottomanelli’s (NYC)
11. My mama’s chicken noodle soup and salami sandwich (I ate this everyday in kindergarten), her spaghetti and meatballs, “favorite noodles,” and her mashed potatoes even though they suck
12. Vietnamese noodle soup from Wagamama (London)
13. Fried green tomatoes from Upperline (New Orleans)
14. Fried chicken from The Lady and Sons (Savannah, GA)
15. White chocolate bread pudding from The Pelican Club (New Orleans)
16. B.L.T from Silver’s (Southampton)
17. Lobster roll from Lunch (Montauk)
18. A prosciutto, lettuce, and tomato sandwich: the P.L.T, from E.A.T (NYC)
19. A shrimp po’boy from Mother’s (New Orleans)
20. Stove Top stuffing
21. Paella by that "Top Chef" cutie Ilan
22. And finally my own eggs, toast, sausage, and hash browns

Clearly part of my plan is to draw out the meal long enough to get a pardon… If you want to read what real-life criminals asked for, check out Dead Man Eating, or to see what the world’s best chefs would have picked, go buy My Last Supper: 50 Great Chefs and Their Final Meals by Melanie Dunia – it’s incredible! Review to follow soon.

*The above photo is of #17, heaven on earth

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post!!

Anonymous said...

You forgot munster bagels!!

Anonymous said...

A little surprised to see NOBU sushi on that list! Sushi, which rocks of course, is sushi. But a last meal would have to include NOBU's Rock Shrimp in Spicy Cream Sauce and, the immortal Black Cod in Miso Sauce.

Anonymous said...

Glad to see a cheese steak from JRP made the list. But since you called it johnnies and not johns all comments about cheese steaks will have to go through my review.

-davis