October 25, 2007

It Ain’t All About the Cookin, That’s For Sure


I read my darling Paula Deen’s book It Ain’t All About the Cookin’ this past summer and all I can say is WOW. The poor lady was agoraphobic and when she was finally forced out of her home to get a job to support those handsome little sons of hers, she was held up at gunpoint. Obviously I already knew this about Paula (doesn’t everybody?) from watching “Chefography,” but it was neat to read it from the professional paid writer, err I mean her perspective. All in all it was a fun read, but sadly Paula did not talk about her sons enough.

She basically paints a picture of them as been moochers who saw her success growing and grabbed on to her apron tails for dear life, (I can’t argue with that). Even though they are huge mama’s boys and will ride her fame wave up and down the Mississippi, I still love them both. I wish she had written about their love lives instead of her own. Yes my friend, that’s right, Paula gives a detailed story about sleeping with her husband – the big, jolly, white-haired, Santa’s doppelganger, boatin’ man.

Much like when JAG was eliminated from “Next Food Network Star,” this was a hard time in m life to get through. I love Paula, but do I really need to know about her sexual escapades? Luckily she did not mention anything about smothering each other in butter, which is quite a relief because after the bathrobe scene (PLEASE don’t make me describe it) in “Paula goes to Paris,” or whatever that special was called, that is pretty much what I pictured them doing…. Gross.

Back to those manly men of hers – It angers me deeply that “Road Tasted” does not feature the boys in their swim trunks. I saw Rachael in a bikini (no comment) on “40 Dollars a Day” and Giada surfing with Laird Hamilton, so why not the Deen boys? They could do a special called “BUTTA ME UP!” where they travel to great beaches around the country and see how long it takes for their skin to turn into pork cracklins’ when they use butter instead of sunscreen.

While I’m on the subject of Paula and her (cringe) sex life, take a look at this clip I found on Food Network Addict. She says she is “AS EXCITED AS A VIRGIN ON HER WEDDIN’ NIGHT… EXPECTIN’ BIG THANGS!” See for yourself.

Thank goodness for therapists.

*The above photo is of my standing outside of Paula's glorious restaurant The Lady and Sons in Savannah, GA. It’s blurry because I was so excited I could not stand still. Tee hee.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

THAT IS THE FUNNIEST NAME FOR A SHOW ESPECIALLY BECAUSE OF PAULA'S LOVE OF BUTTER. SO FUNNY. IF THEY STEAL YOUR IDEA WE'LL KNOW IT CAME FROM YOU.
SHEILA from Canton, OH

Anonymous said...

Why do all authors feel it necessary to inform the readers of their love lives?

Anonymous said...

You keep the butter I like the margarine!!