December 13, 2007

Sorry Wilbur…


So my new best friend (who shall remain nameless) gave me some jamón ibérico de bellota, (the way in which they got it shall also remain a secret). Basically it is a really, REALLY fancy prosciutto which I gobbled up on a borderline moldy mini-bagel last night. It was the only thing in my fridge after a long day of work and school, and even though I really did want to savor the experience and analyze the taste, I just couldn’t. I even gave a tiny piece to my little hot dog, Brutus, but he wasn't all that impressed! I wanted to tell you, dear reader, about this so you can casually bring it up to your friends and sound smart.

Here are a few highlights from an article called “Mere Mortals Confront the Ultimate Ham” in New York Magazine’s Grub Street:

“It's the ultimate prize, the holy grail for pork-lovers: the famed jamón ibérico de bellota, the black-footed, acorn-fed Spanish ham… it's illegal in this country.”

“It was approved for importation to America last year — but it takes three years to cure and age under the conditions dictated for its Stateside distribution. It's the ultimate pork product. And no one in America can get it until 2008. "I have waited all my life for this moment. I will have tears in my eyes," Eric Ripert told the New York Post recently.”

“Not everyone is content to wait. One august food-world figure had someone send him legal Italian prosciutto, into which a friend had shuffled the good stuff. A wine importer once kept slices of the ham, wrapped in Cryovac, rolled up inside a boot within a suitcase during a flight.”

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been to the World's foodshow in Köln. It's a huge show with every type of food from every country laid out in pavillions, each designated by a category or country.. produce, beverage, dairy, sweets. Each pavillion has it's own aura being extremely colorful, festive and innovative. All except Meat. Dark suits, serious tones, whispers of kobe and offerings of jamón ibérico. It would only be offered after a slight nod that implied, yes...I'm ready. And then, a slice was taken from Wilbur's leg while I watched. I wasn't ready any more.

Anonymous said...

Hi Lauren,
Sorry that this is not a pork question...

I need help with the age old decision of where to eat before a play on Broadway. Can you recommend the latest theater district restaurant that boasts both great food and a cool atomosphere?

Mary from Maryland said...

I enjoyed this little ditty and was glad to see some new entries. Cooking school, huh? Very interesting. Well, what can I say? I enjoyed your pieces as usual.

Mary from Maryland said...

Oh, I really like the picture of Wilbur too. Keep it up. Where can I get some of that ham? Spain here I come but/and Italy is my favorite. boo hoo.